2017 is already off and running, and we are thrilled about what the new year holds for MtoM.
We have defined three main initiatives that we will be incorporating into everything we do in 2017: user-generated content, livestreaming video and immersive content for virtual reality. After tracking past data and looking ahead to developing trends, we’re confident that these areas will play a huge role in the next year and beyond.
In this three-part series, we’ll dig deeper into MtoM’s 2017 initiatives, and explore why each one is so important. First up: user-generated content!
Why We Love User-Generated Content
It’s no secret that we are huge fans of user-generated content. Photos, videos and written posts created by real people (not agencies) are authentic, engaging and effective.
We recently wrote about Polaroid’s enormous success with UGC, which has used a modest monthly budget to increase its sales dramatically (sometimes by 180%). And Polaroid’s story is not the exception; it’s the rule. User-generated content consistently performs well and connects with brands’ target audiences.
- According to data from OfferPop, 85 percent of survey respondents said they find visual UGC more influential than brand photos or videos (yet only 65 percent of businesses agreed). Nearly all of those surveyed said that UGC is helpful in their decision-making process.
- A Crowdtap and Ipsos survey found that millennials spend 18 hours a day with media, with 30% of that time consuming user-generated media. Respondents said they found UGC 35% more memorable than other media, 50% more trusted, and 20% more influential for purchasing decisions.
- A Chute study found that 78% of marketers are already using UGC in their marketing efforts. Main reasons include: to create authentic content (87%) and to engage their audience (72%).
MtoM’s Vision for UGC
User-generated content will only continue to grow in importance this year. Agencies can’t hire enough staff to create the content they need to be effective on all social channels, and content creators are capable of producing exciting, authentic and affordable media for brands.
There are two approaches to integrating UGC into marketing efforts, and MtoM plans to create a platform where brands can do both:
- Solicit people to submit user-generated content tailored to particular brands and campaigns.
- Find user-generated content that has already been created, and get legal permits to use it for branded campaigns.
This two-pronged approach will allow brands to curate and commission creative UGC with enormous value. MtoM already has access to millions of influencers to connect with the right brands, and launching a platform for user-generated content is a natural extension of what we do. We’re excited to expand the reach of content for the brands we work with!
Stay tuned for Part II in our 2017 series.